Commonly expressed but boring responses to various posts. If you use a version of one of these responses, the administrators at resist racism may tag you with the number. Or we might just mock you.
1. I am not a racist.
variant a. But I’m not like those others!
variant b. But not all white people are like that!
variant c. But I’m a good person!
2. I have a black friend.
variant a. I have an Asian child.
variant b. I have a non-white boyfriend/girlfriend.
3. You’re the real racists.
variant a. Talking about race is what causes divisions in our society.
variant b. You’re racist against white people.
variant c. Black people do that all the time.
variant d. Everybody knows Asians are racist against blacks.
4. You’re bitter/angry/oversensitive/whatever.
variant a. You have a chip on your shoulder.
variant b. You’re so mean! And now my feelings are hurt.
5. Ventriloquy (“I have a black friend who says …”)
6. I lived in [fill-in-the-blank-country] for [length of time].
7. What about all those black men who rape white women?
8. That’s just political correctness.
9. What about all the racism in [insert name of predominantly brown country here] against whites?
variant a. What about the ethnic strife in [name of country]?
10. Why aren’t you worried about child abuse/world hunger/something else that’s important?
variant a. Why don’t you worry about real racism?
11. Do you have to be so aggressive when you talk about racism? Can’t you frame your message in a nicer way?
12. I’m not like those other people.
variant a. I am doing a good thing and have good intentions.
variant b. I don’t see race at all.
variant c. Reference to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “content of our character.”
13. According to you we can’t do anything right, so why bother trying?
14. I’m a person of color myself and …
variant a. I’m white, but I’m a member of a minority group and have faced discrimination …
15. It wasn’t racist; you just don’t understand the context/are misinterpreting it/it was meant to be a compliment.
16. That happens to white people too. It has nothing to do with racism.
variant a. This is about class, not about race.
17. Everyone is racist.
18. It’s satire/humor/don’t you get the joke?
variant a. You don’t have a sense of humor.
variant b. Lighten up!
variant c. You don’t understand the context.
19. The Dictionary Defense™, otherwise known as The Last Bastion of Idiots™.
variant a. It’s the rule! And if the rule applies to everybody, that’s fair.
variant b. I don’t think you understand the concept of …
20. General random stupidity, evidencing a lack of reason and critical thought.
21. Everybody is offended by something.
22. Racial divisions are caused by you people bringing up racism all the time.
23. Gratuitous disparaging reference to Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or the NAACP.
24. Stereotypes are mostly true.